Freedom Chair with Headrest
It has been called the world's simplest and smartest task chair because it adapts naturally to the geometry of the human body, operates dynamically and stops automatically in the correct position — all with the use of knobs, locks or levers!
The Freedom Desk Chair includes the following features:
- Distinctive design sets it apart from other task chairs and enhances any space.
- Innovative weight-sensitive, self-locking recline mechanism cleverly uses each sitter's body weight to perfectly adjust the tension and recline position of the chair for full support throughout movement.
- Pivoting backrest automatically moves with the user throughout the day and offers perfect lumbar comfort in all positions.
- Synchronous arms allow effortless adjustment with one hand and our unique arm design attaches to the backrest to move with the user. Adjusting seat level for up close work at a desk.
- Contoured cushions are sculpted to closely follow the body's shape and offer long-term comfort, reduce pressure points and provide exceptional weight distribution.
- Modular design allows the user to update the aesthetic of the chair and offers easy maintenance.
- Handle on back of chair for easy maneuvering.
- A wide range of specifically created, high-performance textiles complement the chair's unique cushion contours to maximize their comfort, performance and ergonomic function.
- Convenient coat hanger attachment
- 15-year warranty.
- Size adjustable to fit 95% of the population
- Designed with a four-way stretch, Corde 4 fabrics provide sitters with ultimate comfort as they adjust positions. Its intricate weave structure, dimensional surface and wide array of neutral and vibrant shades are visually appealing and engaging to the touch.
- Polished Aluminum with Graphite
- Polished Aluminum with Titanium
- Intelligent counter-balance recline mechanism automatically provides the right amount of support through the full range of recline motion, regardless of user size and weight
- No tension springs to adjust
- No recline locks to set / release
- During recline, the angle between torso and legs opens up for better body function
- User maintains near-constant eye level during recline
- Extra motion of the backrest during recline automatically adjusts to the changing needs of the spine
- Provides up to 1" additional lumbar support when needed
- Revolutionary armrests move in tandem to eliminate uneven arm positioning
- Natural lift and release action for immediate re-positioning without buttons or locks
- 6" range of vertical motion to accommodate all users and tasks
- Can be positioned below thigh level for close to table or desk work
- Attached to backrest so arms stay in same relation to body during recline
- Duron arm pad for durability and comfort
- Molded polyurethane foam cushions
- Carefully sculpted to match body contours
- Increased contact area reduces pressure points
- Modular for easy replacement
Gel Seat Cushion
- Non-degradable, non-compressible Technogel® layer on top of foam core
- Provides maximum pressure distribution
- Offers unmatched, long-term comfort
- Provides seat height range that accommodates 95% of the population
- Casters for Carpet
- Casters for Hard Floors (hardwood, tile, laminate, stone, etc.)
Dimensions & Measurements
(from face of lumbar to front of seat)
|17.4" - 19.85"|
(from floor to front center of seat cushion)
|16.625" - 20.875"|
(from seat cushion to top of backrest)
|e||Chair Width||With Arms: 26.75"
Without Arms: 21.1"
(from seat cushion to top of armrest)
|3.75" - 9.6"|
(from face of lumbar to front of armrest)
|h||Distance Between Armrests||Standard: 19"
Advanced: 18.25" - 21.25"
For any custom options below, call or chat with a product specialist to build.
- Corde 4 Fabrics
- Fourtis Fabrics
- Sensuede Fabrics - Custom
- Ginkgo Fabrics - Custom
- Pinstripe Fabrics - Custom
- Dash Fabrics - Custom
- Lotus Fabrics - Custom
- Catena Fabrics - Custom
- Polished Aluminum with Graphite
- Polished Aluminum with Titanium
- No Arms
- Standard Duron Arms (Vertical Adjustable with Standard Armpads)
- Standard Gel Arms (Vertical Adjustable with Gel Armpads)
- Advanced Duron Arms (Vertical and Horizontal Adjustable with Standard Armpads)
- Advanced Gel Arms (Vertical and Horizontal Adjustable with Gel Armpads)
- Standard Foam Seat Pan
- Gel Seat
- Casters for Carpet (Standard Hard Casters)
- Casters for Hard Floors (Soft Casters)
- Glides - Custom
- Standard 5 inch cylinder
- Low 3.75 inch cylinder (for users under 5 feet tall) - Custom
- Tall 3 inch cylinder (for users over 6 feet 4 inches tall) - Custom
- Height 8 inch cylinder with 18 inch Foot Ring - Custom
- Height 8 inch cylinder with 21 inch Foot Ring - Custom
- Extra-high 10 inch cylinder with 18 inch Foot Ring - Custom
- Extra-high 10 inch cylinder with 21 inch Foot Ring - Custom
- Standard Plastics and Foams
- CAL133 Label Applied to Underside of Chair - Custom
PRODUCT DESIGN STORY
“With the airplane you learn a lot about how to deal with the air, for a chair you have to learn a lot about how to deal with the body, and what the body needs, wants, indicates it needs. And that's the way, ultimately after some ups and downs, I ended up designing [Freedom].”
— Niels Diffrient, Designer
Inspired to create a revolutionary office chair that adjusted automatically to whoever sat in it, Niels Diffrient designed the Freedom chair. Diffrient had always had a passion for aviation, growing up drawing and building model planes. In his 2002 TED talk, in which he shared the processes behind the design of Freedom, he explained how the disciplines connected.
OFFICIAL HUMANSCALE RETAILER
We're an authorized Humanscale retailer. This means we're official. We sell new factory-direct items complete with Humanscale's own warranty. You can purchase confidently from Office Designs knowing you'll be receiving genuine Humanscale product.
Humanscale is the premier designer and manufacturer of ergonomic products that improve health and comfort at work. Our award-winning office solutions - including self adjusting seating, sit / stand desks, monitor arms and task lighting - inspire movement and support the user in their every posture.
Humanscale's Design Studio, based in New York City, abides by the philosophy that good design achieves more with less. We regularly partner with esteemed industrial designers and are known for our history of collaboration with the iconic designer Niels Diffrient. Our innovations have been honored with more than 200 prestigious awards since 2007 and featured in various museums, such as the Museum of Modern Art.
Sustainability of both design and materials is at the heart of what we do, and we solve functional problems as simply and elegantly as possible while consuming less of the Earth’s limited resources.
Gel Arms: Non-degradable, non-compressible Technogel layer on top of polyurethane core.
Fourtis is a four-way stretch fabric that easily conforms to our cushions for the ultimate in comfort and flexibility. While still adjustable, its satin crepe weave structure is highly durable and creates a strong, high-performance fabric.
Gel Seat: Non-degradable, non-compressible Technogel layer on top of foam core. Provides maximum pressure distribution. Offers unmatched, long-term comfort.
Casters for Carpet or Hard Floors: Versatile caster than can be used on hard surfaces such as wood, ceramic til, vinyl tile, or carpeted floors. Soft tread gives the chair better traction and reduces noise on hard surfaces.