A Healthier Way to Sit
The research that advanced our thinking of how a chair needs to support the body lead to four key discoveries:
- The spine doesn’t move as a single unit. When you recline, your upper spine moves backward and your lower spine arches forward.
- Each individual’s spinal motion is unique. Even for people of identical size, age, and gender, each spine moves differently.
- The upper and lower back require different amounts and types of support. Your lower back requires firm, constant support while your upper back requires more support as you recline.
- Vision and reach impact your posture. When you recline in traditional chairs, the distance between you and your work can increase, which in turn can strain your eyes, arms and neck.
These four discoveries became the guidelines for designing the leap chair and the foundation for the alive seating principles.
- Movement: Moving helps reduce pressure on the spine, sends oxygen to your muscles, and increases blood flow to your brain. Movement is healthy and your desk chair should support your body as you move.
- Orientation: Changes in posture help you stay comfortable and more attentive. Leap office chair’s Natural Glide System enables you to comfortably recline without straining your eyes, neck, or arms.
- Fit: Your body is unique. You need a chair that easily adjusts to fit you, your preferences, and how you work.
- Sustainability: A chair that is good for people should also be good for the environment. Every material, every stage of a Leap chair’s life, is designed to respect and nurture human and environmental health. One more reason to be comfortable with Leap.
- Outer back and seat are plastic.
- LiveBack moves with the shape of the user’s spine as sitting positions change.
- Lumbar height adjusts 5 inches to provide additional lower back support. Standard on all chairs, but may be omitted.
- Lower back firmness changes the amount of firmness user feels in lower back. Requires only two complete turns.
- Upper back force requires only five complete turns and accommodates a broader range of users by allowing user to change the rate of increase in force as the user reclines..
- Passive seat edge angle allows the front edge of the seat to flex 1-1/2 inches to relieve pressure under the user’s thighs.
- Variable back stop with five positions is standard.
- Seat depth adjusts within a 3 inch range to accommodate users of varying leg lengths. Seat depth is standard on all models.
- Seat height adjusts with in a 5 inch range with a pneumatic adjustment mechanism.
- Five-arm base is available in plastic or polished aluminum.
- Casters have hard, dual-wheels that roll smoothly on carpets.
Dimensions & Measurements
|Overall Depth||21.75 - 24.75 inches|
|Overall Width||27 inches|
|Overall Height||38.5 - 43.5 inches|
|Seat Height||15.5 - 20.5 inches|
|Seat Depth Adjustment||15.75 - 18.75 inches|
|Seat Width||19.25 inches|
|Lumbar Height from Seat||5.25 - 10.25 inches|
|Back Width||18 inches|
|Recline Angle||96 - 120 degrees|
|Arm Height from Seat||7 - 11 inches|
|Distance between Armrests||12.75 - 20 inches|
|Armcap Pivot Range||30 degrees|
|Armcap Depth Adjustment||3 inches|
|Weight Capacity||400 pounds|
For any custom options below, call or chat with a product specialist to build.
- Buzz2 Fabrics
- Cogent Connect Fabrics
- Steelcase Leathers
- Elmosoft Leathers
Frame, Seat Shell, Outer Back and Base
- Black Plastic
- Platinum Plastic
- Height, Width, Pivot, and Depth Adjustable Arms
- Height Adjustable Arms
- 5 inch cylinder
- 7 inch cylinder
- Casters for Carpets
- Casters for Hard Floors
OFFICIAL STEELCASE RETAILER
We're an authorized Steelcase retailer. This means we're official. We sell new factory-direct items complete with Steelcase's own warranty. You can purchase confidently from Office Designs knowing you'll be receiving genuine Steelcase product.
Steelcase leads the way in creating great experiences by offering a range of architecture, furniture and technology products and services designed to help people reach their full potential.
Our comprehensive portfolio is anchored by three core brands: Steelcase, Coalesse and Turnstone. Together with our partners, we design spaces to help people work, learn and heal.
And because protecting the environment is in our DNA, we drive sustainable social, economic and environmental change through our decisions and actions. At Steelcase, we don’t just do what’s right, we do what’s best - for people and for the planet.
Established in 1912 as the Metal Office Furniture Company, our first patent for a metal wastebasket meant safety for office workers. In crowded cities where fires spread quickly, replacing wicker with steel was a lifesaving innovation.
Founders Peter M. Wege, Walter D. Idema and David D. Hunting built the business in Grand Rapids, Michigan - a city then known as “The Furniture City” because of its many wood furniture manufacturers.
By 1919 the company began to establish its dealer network, making desks, cabinets and other products available nationwide. Officially known as Steelcase Inc. beginning in 1954, the company grew globally and executed the largest single shipment in the industry in 1973, providing over 400 truckloads of furniture for Chicago’s Sears Tower. Steelcase became publicly traded in 1998.
We’ve been looking forward since the beginning. From our early years to 21st-century breakthroughs, Steelcase turns insights into innovations and pushes limits to transform and reimagine the workplace.
Care InstructionsBasic maintenance should be done on chair upholstery, finishes, controls, base, and other moving parts once a year. More frequently with heavy use.
Removing fabric upholstery stains or heavy soil:
- Soak up excess any stain with a cloth. Do not dry the stain completely or it may set.
- For most water-borne stains (coffee, fruit juice, washable ink), use an upholstery cleaning solution and follow package directions.
- For oil-borne stains, use a dry-cleaning solution at room temperature (never hot) and allow solution to work into stain. Using quick, light strokes, brush stain with a soft bristle brush. Work from outside toward the center to prevent rings. Avoid vigorous rubbing which may damage the nap or force the stain more deeply into the material. Soak up remaining dry-cleaning solution and sponge the fabric with cool water.
- Allow fabric to dry completely, then vacuum thoroughly. If stain is still evident, repeat procedure. Several light applications of cleaning solution are more effective/less damaging than one heavy application.
Buzz 2 is a polyester fabric that is extremely durable.
Cogent Connect is softer and more breathable than Buzz 2, while still being very durable.
Leather is the base upgrade for upholstery options, with just a few color options.
Elmosoft Leather is a soft and pliable leather known for its comfort and durability.
Height Adjustable Arms move up and down 4", allowing them to be from 7-11" above the seat.
Fully Adjustable Arms are height adjustable, but also depth-adjustable by 3" and can pivot 30 degrees.