Herman Miller Embody Chair
designed by Bill Stumpf and Jeff Weber
Need a chair today? Check out the Embody Chairs we have in stock here. If you don't see a color or option here, please call our sales team at (800) 260-8420 for additional product selections!
Embody was designed with the input of more than 30 physicians and PhDs in biomechanics, vision, physical therapy, and ergonomics, the Embody office chair is for those who take sitting seriously. Our research even proves that it increases blood circulation to improve oxygen flow and lower your heart rate.
The Embody work chair is the modern benchmark for pressure distribution, natural alignment, and healthy movement. Instead of locking you into the seat, this modern ergonomic office chair combines active and passive ergonomics to encourage effortless long-term sitting. Its signature spinal design lets you manually fine-tune the fit to your back while the matrix of pixels in the seat and back automatically conform to your micro-movements.
- Embody’s back is designed with a central spine and flexible ribs for full spinal support.
- Smooth tilt mimics body's natural pivot points for better balance and comfort.
- Narrow tapered design of the back allows for freer movement.
- Four breathable layers in the seat for cushioned comfort and enhanced airflow.
- Manufactured at a 100% Renewable Electric Energy facility. Made of 42% recycled materials; 95% recyclable at end of useful life.
- 12-year warranty.
- Fully Adjustable Arms: Allows you to set the height of the arms from 6.5 inches to 11.5 inches from the seat to minimize shoulder strain. Arms also adjust outward from 12 inches apart to 21 inches to support different types of work: inward for keyboarding, outward for mousing.
- Pixelated Seat: Combines the performance features of suspension seating and the comfort features of foam and fabric, a key differentiator against competing chairs. The Embody seat is comprised of four different support layers—each with its own set of material properties, and each created with a different manufacturing process, all working together, orienting themselves to your shape with a degree of fidelity so high they even accommodate pockets. These layers were designed for airflow, keeping you cool and comfortable as you sit.
- Seat Depth: The seat depth can be adjusted from 15 inches to 18 inches and controlled by the front handles on the right and left sides of the seat.
- Seat Height: The translucent seat height joystick, located in center of tilt tension knob, can be angled in any direction to activate. Lift weight to raise the seat height; lower the height while seated.
- Balanced Recline: Embody’s tilt technology mimics your natural pivot points, lets you “dwell” comfortably in any position, and offers a unique “kicker” that lets you extend even farther back to stretch. The tilt tension is adjusted by turning the tilt tension knob, located at center right side of chair below seat.
- Backfit Adjustment: A central spine and flexible ribs align the backrest with your spine’s natural curve, so you achieve a neutral, balanced posture.
- Embody Tilt: Embody’s proprietary tilt technology keeps your back at a proper angle to the seat, allowing your body to move naturally into the most healthful seated
postures while keeping your pelvis stable.
- Posturefit: Embody’s PostureFit properly supports the base of your spine and keeps your pelvis tilted forward, preventing slouching and decreasing muscle fatigue while you sit.
- Pixelated Back: Unlike any conventional back design, the Embody Pixelated back conforms to your unique spinal curvature, providing targeted support. More along the spine where you need it, and less along the edges to encourage healthy upper body movement.
- Casters for Carpet: Designed for use on low- to medium-pile carpet, such as commercial or Berber, this 2.5-inch diameter caster has wheels of durable black nylon.
- Casters for Hard Floor or Carpet: A versatile caster that can be used on hard surfaces such as wood, ceramic tile, vinyl tile, or carpeted floors, it is 2.5 inches in diameter and is made of durable black nylon with a soft polyurethane tread. The Soft tread gives the chair better traction and reduces noise on hard surfaces.
Embody is manufactured at a 100% Renewable Electric Energy facility and is made of 42% recycled materials; 95% recyclable at end of useful life. Recyclability refers to the portion of materials used in a product that can be recycled after the product is no longer functional.
Dimensions & Measurements
- Height (in): 43.5
- Height Min (in): 42
- Width (in): 29.5
- Depth (in): 29
- Seat Height Min (in): 16
- Seat Height Max (in): 20.5
- Packaging Dimensions: 42” x 29.5” x 29”
- Package Weight: 68 lbs
- 12-year warranty.
- Pixelated Support conforms to your micro-movements and eliminates pressure buildup.
- Narrow back promotes correct posture while allowing the freedom to move.
- Breathable seat with four support layers.
- Pneumatic seat lift and adjustable armrests.
- Models with a graphite frame have a black back, and all others have a translucent back.
A designer at Herman Miller’s Research Corporation who studied the work of physicians and scientists, Bill Stumpf learned everything he could about how human beings sit so that he could design a chair that really worked at work: the Aeron.
Bill Stumpf once defined design as “a means of creatively sustaining the arts of daily living in a technological world.” Unconcerned with fads, he was inspired by the challenge of easing the tensions that emerge where humanity meets technology—particularly at the office. That’s where Stumpf left an indelible legacy in the form of the Aeron Chair and the Ethospace System. He was also a leading design thinker, and there’s no shortage of Bill Stumpf quotes for those seeking inspiration. Like Henry Dreyfuss a generation earlier, he strove to understand how human beings moved so that he could design humane furniture for the real world. For him, it was less about how a Bill Stumpf chair looked than how it felt.
About Herman Miller
Founded in West Michigan in 1905, Herman Miller has grown to become a world-recognized furniture brand. As a design leader and furniture innovator, they’ve partnered with some of the most influential and iconic designers of the 20th century—designers like Charles and Ray Eames, George Nelson, Isamu Noguchi, Alexander Girard and more. In doing so, they’ve produced pieces that have become classics of industrial design, many of which are featured on permanent display in museums like the New York Museum of Contemporary Art (MoMA).
Herman Miller continued that legacy in 1994 by partnering with designers Bill Stumpf and Don Chadwick. They went about developing an office chair unlike any before it. Bringing together the latest in ergonomic research and design, they developed the legendary Classic Aeron chair, the best selling office chair in the world.
Today, Herman Miller continues that tradition of design forward thinking and innovation. Partnering with the next generation of industrial designers—such as Studio 7.5 and Yves Behar— as they tackle the ergonomic and anthropometric challenges we face in today’s modern work life.
An Official Herman Miller Retailer
We're an authorized Herman Miller retailer. This means we're official. We sell new factory-direct chairs complete with Herman Miller's own 12-year warranty. You can purchase confidently from Smart Furniture knowing you'll be receiving genuine Herman Miller product.
Herman Miller Warranty
Normal cleaning: Wash surface with a soft cloth soaked in mild detergent and warm water. Rinse thoroughly and dry with a soft cloth. Do not use solvents or abrasive kitchen cleaners.
For more detailed insturctions, please see the following:
- Is Herman Miller Embody comfortable?
- You feel Embody’s Pixelated Support™ the moment you sit down—a sense that you are floating, yet perfectly balanced.
- When did the Herman Miller Embody come out?
- What is the weight capacity of Herman Miller Embody?
- The weight capacity for the Sayl chair is 300lbs.
- Is the Embody chair good for tall people?
- Embody works well for people up to 6'4".
- Does Herman Miller Embody have lumbar support?
- Embody’s PostureFit properly supports the base of your spine and keeps your pelvis tilted forward, preventing slouching and decreasing muscle fatigue while you sit.
- What is a good seat height for a short person with the Embody?
- Move the seat up or down until your feat are flat on the floor, giving you an anchor point.
- Why you should sit in a Embody?
- Form doesn’t just follow function with Embody. Function is on full display. Every part of the chair was designed to serve a very specific, healthful purpose. Embody’s technology isn’t hidden, but is instead part of its aesthetic.
- Who this the Embody good for?
- Embody is perfect for anyone who appreciates quality, good design, comfort, and environmental responsibility.
- Testimonials from our clients about the Sayl?
- Love my chair! My husband and son have an embody chair for some years and both love it. I was first hesitant because of the price, but when I had Sciatica I went and got me one, too. It helped so much and no back pain since! The Herman Miller chairs are very well made.
- Love it. It’s not a bulky chair, but very sleek looking so I was worried it wouldn’t be comfortable. However, once you sit in it you’ll feel the comfort. It’s like wearing a well fitted glove.
The Tilt Limiter option provides basic recline/tilt with the ability to adjust the tension when leaning back.
The Tilt Limiter and Seat Angle option adds the ability to select either a horizontal or 4-degree forward tilt for the seat angle. This is necessary if you frequently sit upright on the edge of your seat in a tasking or typing posture.
- Non-Adjustable Fixed Arms: Simple, they do not move.
- Height-Adjustable Arms: Allow for 4" of vertical movement. **As of June 2016 the arms no longer ratchet up and down, but rather have a lever you lock or unlock to set the height range.
- Fully-Adjustable Arms: Allow the arms to move 4" vertically, 1-3/8" horizontally and 2" front-to-back with armpads that pivot 11 degrees inward and outward.
Questions? Speak with one of our Sales Associates today!